Big Stars Are the New Spammers

It is a common practice in social media marketing to be relevant through the clutter on the internet without being disruptive to the consumer. Consumers alike hate getting spam and find it to be an annoyance to have to sort through all the messages we get in a day. One of the last places you would expect spammers to arise is Instagram… but they are there and they are your favorite stars.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a true Belieber, but I have never been able to follow his Instagram. Instead of following the unspoken rule of only Instagramming once a day, he consistently posts a group of individual posts back to back. While giving my thumb a workout to scroll through the clutter, I find myself not really looking at the posts but instead liking as I scroll.

Is this really helping an artist market?

Or are big stars like Justin Bieber big enough that it doesn’t matter if they reach their audience?

The true marketing value from an artists’ Instagram comes from a fan being able to feel connected to the personal life of the artist. As fans, we want to be invested, not only in their music, but in what they do every day. We want to see where they go, what they eat, who their friends are, how they look outside of the glam of a photoshoot and more. It is thrilling to look at the glamorous life of the rich and famous.


Maybe it is only me thinking that the bulk posts are too much, but it does give us that gateway into lives of my favorite stars.

Comments